Thursday, March 15, 2012

A four-footed view a life in Mazatlan

Hola from Oliver Twist Whitaker better known as Ollie. I have four legs, two buterfly ears and weigh 6 1/2 pounds or 3 kgs. I am seven years old and have owned the Whitakers for 4 1/2 years. I now live most of my life in Mazatlan. I am relatively quiet except when people come to the door.  The only way I have to alert my owners is to let out a few barks until they come to the door.  My hearing is better then theirs for sure.

Life is good most of the time, but there are times when life could be better. In February my mom, Janice left me in Joel's care and went to Washington State. She didn't tell me that Canaval would be happening. This is a event where two legged beings drink too much cerveza (beer) and make loud noises. Some of the loud noises appear at the same time that the sky lights up. When this happens the only sane thing to do is hide under the bed until it is over. This hurts my ears and I just can't figure out why people think this is fun. The other major noise source is when a group of two legged beings get up on a stage and blow on horns, pluck on strings and yell into electronic voice enhancers. When this happens Joel allows me to sleep on the bed beside him until early morning when the nose stops and I can go safely to my bed. This went on for six straight nights. The Carnaval parades also are puzzling to me. Huges platforms with very nice girls and larger than life annimals pass by. I can only see them if Joel holds me up. The nice girls sometimes throw things to the crowd. It turned out to be candy and not one dog biscuit was thrown. Talk about a dissapointment. Carnaval is now close to a year away. Too soon for me. 

Another issue is there are no grass covered parks or playgrounds in Centro Mazatlan. My fastivious sensibilties are tested when I am walked on pavement. Eventually I must do my business on plain concrete. On the plus side, the streets have hundreds of scents to tantalize my nose. Also, there are many other dogs, many that allow me to indroduce myself by allowing me to sniff their backsides and also sniff mine.

I am a facination here in Mazatlan. People confuse me with a long hair Chiuaua. What gives, are they blind, can't they tell I'm a Papillon?  ...and to make matters worse, they call me a girl. "oh isn't she beautiful, oh she is so darling??? Hello.....I am a male, and all male.  I've got puppies all over to prove it. Of course that was the first 2 1/2 years of my life.  There are many Mexican and gringo ladies that love to pick me up and scratch my ears and my tummy. They just make a fuss over me. I must be in a thousand pictures with people. Being famous is okay, but, hey, a treat with each pose would be welcomed.

Life is great in Mazatlan, but it is important that my people remember to give me my monthly pill that keeps ticks and fleas off and keep stuff from growing inside of me. Both Joel and Janice usually are willing servants and I have extended them for another year. La vida es buena, woof!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Ollie-- you are such a good writer. I have enjoyed learning about what it is you do all day and the picture of you looking at that wine bottle with great anticipation is just so cute. If I remember correctly it was put on facebook by Janice about the time she told us it was your birthday. I hope you got to drink some of that wine! It was so good to hear from you and hope you write on the blog again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture was taken at our house one evening when Ollie's people came to dinner and to acquaint himself with our four footed housemates. He is a lucky boy, indeed, to own good people.

    ReplyDelete