Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Day 8 - 11, from Viana to Atapuerca 1/3 of the way through

Good morning friends & family,  Today I've posted updates I've received from Ducky.  I'm forwarding these to you and adding pictures of some of the experiences.

"After leaving Viana on Oct 3,  I walked through Logrono, a city with a university. Outside Logrono I had a nice snack lunch with an Italian man, two Swedish women, a German woman, and a Polish woman. We shared whatever snack food we had in our backpacks. That night I spent at Navarette. Had a great Pilgrims dinner. The next day I walked with Alex, a man from Navarette. He wanted to keep his English up, so walks with English speakers. He had managed a ceramic factory in England before his father died and he had to return to Navarette to manage his family vineyards. The next day I ate lunch with two Frenchmen. That night Richard from England joined us and the ladies found him to be creepy, so I had a harem sticking with me. Some photos from the walk.



Good morning from Villambis, a city of about 60 people. It rained last night and is cloudy this morning, so will keep the poncho handy. Hopefully the wind will be less today. Great group of guys last night. Only one woman in the group. Usually there are more woman. An observation, on the Camino, women are more likely to travel alone and guys more likely to travel in twos or threes. Go figure!?
The next morning my roommate found my glasses I thought I had lost. He was 72 years old and was a professor of medical history. The next day I walked with a brother and sister from Gdansk, Poland. I discussed Polish history and I am now welcome to their home in Gdansk. I also walked with a couple from Denmark.
\
That night I rented a private room after many nights in Albergues. I found I missed the company of Abregue life.  Usually I don't like groups of people but in the Camino, it is different. The people I interact with here, talk ideas not things or people. I feel this is what heaven for me would be like.
Monday afternoon I stopped at Vivllafranca de Moines de Oca. I'm one wet puppy. 30-40 mph headwinds and rain. The sun is coming out and I should dry out soon. The Frenchmen I have been seeing often on the Camino asked where I was staying tonight. We went to the book and picked a meeting place. A miracle, I have made friends with the French, have walked thru rain and strong winds the few days but at the current time I would rather to be here because of all the experiences. I have walked over 162 miles, 1/3 and the time is going fast. I love my bride and my family but I would never trade this experience even though I must be away from them.  Tonight I am staying in Atapuerca, the site of the oldest known ancient men.
I also felt that I am living like Jesus perhaps lived, living in shared quarters, eating simple food, sharing cheap local wine and walking everywhere. Again, last night there were a group of us men discussing ideas without needing to discus politics, religious differences, possessions or other people that can be division among us."

Janice again, here are a couple fixer uppers Joel thinks I'd be interested in. What do you think, should I take him up on it? Another hostel/Albergues?


1 comment:

  1. Joel i'm loving reading your posts. I think you may have it right on the head when you said it feels like you are living like jesus. This seems like it really cuts material things and differences down. I didn't know you were an ordained minister. Just keeping up with the readings has been good for me. Blessings.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete