Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Countdown to the Camino

Dear Family and Friends: Tomorrow I fly to Spain and five days until I start waking "The Camino de Santiago".  Most of my packing is done except some last minute items. I have led up to this by working at The Interstate Fair for two weeks. I finished this on Monday, a day after the fair closed. This is my one work for pay job, since my retirement. This was my second year working the fair. The rest of my retirement jobs have been volunteer. I must admit that there is something satisfying to know I am still employable.
Janice will have the hard job of keeping the home fires burning and Ollie will have the job of companionship for Janice while I am gone. As our home is up for sale, maybe most of her time will be completing the sale and preparing for the move.
In preparation for the trip I have acquired a smart phone and have been learning it's operation. I will use it to call Janice on Skype, send her pictures  and to reading my e-mail and Facebook. Janice will keep up the blog from the pictures I send and from our conversations.
I fly out of Spokane at 5:00 AM Wednesday and will, (God willing) land in Pamplona, Spain at 10:00 AM on Thursday. From Pamplona I will catch a bus to ST Jean de Port, France. After checking in with the Pilgrim office, I will find a hostel to spend the night. On Friday morning, if al goes right, I will start my hike across the Pyrenees Mountains into Spain. I will cross into Spain after about 10 miles and should make the first of my 33 destinations in another 5 miles.

Although most of the hikers will be Europeans, there will be also Americans and Canadians on the trails. I have already connected with several of them. One of my hopes is to walk and talk with many people from all over the world. Because of this, I am going on my own, rather than taking any companions. This is a bucket list item for me. I turn 70 in less than 1 1/2 years, so hope to compete the 490 mile hike when I still have the strength.
My mental state is similar from when I was preparing for Marathons and ultra-Marathons. Currently I am saying to myself, what have I gotten into and can I do this? If this is like the Marathons and the ultra Marathons like La Grizz and Western State 100, I will be anxious until I take the first steps to the goal. Once I have started, I will concentrate on completing what I have undertaken and the anxiety will disappear. Your prayers and best wishes are welcomed.
I will let Janice finish this post with her observations.
Ah, what to say? I've been having a lot of mixed emotions as I send Joel on his way tomorrow knowing I won't see him for another 45 days. I truly am happy for Joel as he goes on this adventure.  There is a part of me that wishes I could do this experience with him, but I know I don't have the stamina to walk 500 miles and sleep in hostels.  So, I will miss him very much and may even shed a tear or two as the days go on.  There is a small bit of me that is fearful for him, however I know what will be will be and everything will work out as it should in the end.  Ollie will keep me company as I will for him. He will miss Joel too.  We've all become very dependent on one another in this family. 
Joel will be giving me daily updates with pictures that I will then post in the form of a blog each morning. If you have questions for him along the way, be sure to email him jus-ducky@hotmail.com. He may not be able to answer each and every email, but if there are several of the same type of questions, he will let me know and I will post the answers for all to read that will be of interest. 
In the mean time, I will be keeping the house and yard "spotless" for perspective buyers.  I will also be on the hunt for boxes and beginning the job of packing.  Oh joy! 
For now, keep the healthy/happy thoughts and prayers coming our way for this next adventure. 
Buen Camino Mi Amore'

1 comment:

  1. Safe travels, Joel! What wonderful memories are in the making!

    ReplyDelete