Friday, September 25, 2015

The Pilgrim has landed in Spain, and into France. Day 1

Joel got off with no problems Wednesday, Sept 23 and arrived in Pamplona, Spain the next day on Thursday. We've had very little opportunity yet to visit, so I'm not sure how he got from Pamplona to St. Jean Pied de Port. He found a hostel, very tired from the travel and slept well.  Friday, 1st day of the pilgrimage. 
FINALLY, first report from Joel.
There is poor service for Joel's new smart phone he acquired before leaving Spokane. He was able to use someone's Skype this morning. I had not heard from him until this morning. It has been over 48 hours since he left the states. The next larger town he comes to, that will be his first order of business (after getting a bed in a hostel) will be to find a place that sells phones so that he can at least call me and use his phone to take pictu
res and send them to me a later date, or may have to bring them back with him and we can add those at that time. Our phone call was relatively short but I did learn, he's meeting wonderful people along the way, today was day 1 and he walked from St. Jean Pied de Port in Southern France over the Pyrenees to his first stop of Roncesvalles. I believe he told me he walked 26k today which is approximately 16 miles.
St Jean Pied de Port is a beautiful bustling French market town in the foothills of the Pyrenees, which creates a natural border between France and Spain It is the traditional starting point for the Camino Frances, the most popular of all the Camino routes.

I hope to have more to report within a couple days once I hear more from Joel.

First hostel in St. Jean Pied de Port

View from the hostel

His first bunk bed in France.

No comments:

Post a Comment